The Estimator is responsible for the development of bids based on drawings, customer specifications, and cost estimation requirements.
- Develop accurate estimates and schedules utilizing available tools, industry standards and estimating best practices
- Estimate equipment, labor, material, and subcontractors required for the job and coordinate input from other departments to develop cost estimates based on customer requirements
- Revise estimates when scope of project changes or contract revisions exist prepare request for quotations for purchasing components, and cost analysis
- Attend bid meetings and site visits to derive a work scope, deliverables, etc. as required
- Read and interpret blueprints and technical documents
- Perform project control management as it relates to cost functions and formats
- Responsible for the administration of inquiry documents, scope of work, and schedule related to job
- Participate in the proposal approval process, development of bid, and estimating productions factors of cost basis
- Have General Understanding of:
- Materials required for specific jobs, and readily available in the U.S.
- Subsidiary work related to sitework development (subgrade prep, finish, soil stabilization, dewatering, conversions Tons/CY, waste calculations, haul distances, cycle times, etc.)
- Estimate types (Lump Sum, T&M, Fixed Fee, Budgetary, Unit Rates, Unit Price)
- Maintain thorough records of all project documentation
- Ensure compliance of all safety procedures and policies while promoting the Company’s safety culture.
- Performs other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or construction science related field is preferred
- 3+ years of experience in estimating position or equivalent hand-on field experience
- Experience in heavy construction industry, highway, road, and bridge construction including Department of Transportation (DOT) work.
- Working knowledge of applicable construction codes, policies, standards, and best practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with customers and employees at all levels.
- Strong communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret contract documents such as scopes of work, and project schedule.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgement when handling day to day information.
- Must be proactive and self-motivated with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent time-management skills to plan, organize, and prioritize tasks and responsibilities to meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities.
- Ability to work cooperatively across all levels delivering on commitments – results oriented.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills required to understand and interpret data and make recommendations to project management team
- Ability to complete work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet department targets and deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Teams), Power BI and SharePoint
- Ability to quickly learn the organizations systems.
- Must be able to work non-routine hours, when necessary.
- Must have a valid, unexpired driver’s license.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required for out-of-town travel assignments.
- Will work in an office and job site setting (indoors/outdoors).
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.
- Ability to operate a computer and other office productivity.
- Constantly perform repeating motions that may include feet, leg, wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Frequently communicate with other members of the team. Must be able to exchange accurate information in a clear manner.
- Work that includes moving and/or lifting objects up to 25 pounds.
Bay Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer